hello!

This companion blog mainly hosts links that I want to mark for later reference. It's my virtual collection. As I read through literally thousands of blog postings, patterns naturally reveal themselves. Hey, it's a hobby that I enjoy. All links are gathered manually, i.e., I do not use any kind of automated search query. I figure I might as well share what I've found. Plus, I'm using this as a tester blog, so you might see a few oddities from time to time.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

pensive about blogging

Here's a collection of sites as a continuation of my thoughts around am I doing the right thing with this blog?, PSA or good marketing ploy?, and the fact I recently realized I've already used 60% of my free google 1024MB photo storage. I spend a healthy chunk of my spare time working on my main blog Nature ID, and so it's only natural that I'd also consider the larger context in which I blog.

I now understand that TIME IS THE ONLY NON-RENEWABLE RESOURCE IN ANY OF OUR LIVES...
online frivolity - blah
money - blah
forests and natural areas - blah
relationships - blah
health - maybe blah... if you have the money.

I came late on the scene of blogging starting early May of 2009. In some ways, it's changed my life. Blogging is still merely a hobby for me and a way for me to share what I've found about nature. I prefer reading homegrown blogs versus those which are paid in some way. I love the diversity of personalities that show up on personal blogs. Unfortunately, I've had to delete some blog followings, because google has limited me to 300. Of course reading, er, rather, perusing 300 blogs takes TIME. Smile... snapshot.... Huh? I haven't taken the time to figure out why some still show up in my reader and some are automatically added or deleted.

The links below do not show the full addresses (as has become my practice for this companion blog), because I have notations for myself in each descriptor that doesn't always show in the address.

Anonymous Entomological Punditry on the Internet by the Bug Girl godmother of blogging

say everything, how blogging began, what it's becoming, and why it matters - the book
Blogging with integrity by Southern Fried Scientist
The PepsiGate linkfest by some godfather of blogging
A Farewell to Scienceblogs: The Changing Science Blogging Ecosystem
Young or otherwise inexperienced science bloggers: where do we fit in?
Scientific American blog network - hmph! not personal at all

No comments: